Friday, January 4, 2013

Remote Fallback Status Point installation error message after reinstalling the Primary site

I had a CAS and two primary sites installed in my Lab under CAS.


For all the sites, SQL was in remote server. One day, I was unable to open the console in the primary 1 since it was not connecting to the remote SQL server for some reason.

I tried to reset the primary site using the configmgr setup. But it was not possible. So I removed the primary site manually using preinst.exe /delsite from CAS and cleaned up the primary site server registry entries (below) and services.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS

Even after that, when I tried to reinstall the primary site with new site code after reinstalling SQL and removed DB etc., it was not working. After several attempts, finally I had to rename the SQL server and reinstall the primary with new site code. It worked then.

Then I added all the roles one by one. I had FSP role in a dedicated server earlier. When I added the FSP role again in the primary 1, it was not installing and I saw the below error in component status from the console.

SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 1048 SMS Site Component Manager detected that site system \\xxxx is currently in use by SMS site xxx. Possible cause: You accidentally configured SMS to use this site system as part of this site and as part of site xxx. Solution: Remove this site system from the list of site systems for this site or for site xxx

I found that it was because of the residual registry entries from the old site code in the remote FSP server. After I removed the entire registry key (see below) from the FSP server and reinstalled the role it worked fine.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS

No comments:

Post a Comment